Our society was founded in 1952 to bring together people of every background and all ages from the local area who have an interest in the cultivation of allotments and gardens.
Many of our members live locally or have an allotment at Pippenhall Farm on the Bexley Road where we have a shop that is open every Sunday morning selling a wide variety of garden related products at discount prices.
1. To promote the interests of allotment holders and gardeners and to encourage good
cultivation of allotments and gardens by obtaining for members specialized advice
when required and providing good quality fertilizers, tools etc at reasonable prices.
2. To co-operate with any committee set up by the government, local authority or other
body to further the interests of allotment holders, gardeners and horticulture generally.
The Society is affiliated to the Royal Horticultural Society.
The cost is £4 per annum (Senior Citizens £2), payable in advance.
BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP
1. The purchase of garden requirements at special rates on production of membership card
at Pippenhall Allotments, Bexley Road, Eltham.
2. The issue of a periodic bulletin or news sheet to keep you up to date with local gardening
news and other matters of interest.
3. The use of the Society’s tickets for the National Shows and the RHS Gardens at Wisley,
4. The obtaining of special advice, if necessary, on gardening problems.
5. To take part in any lecture, demonstration or outing of the Society.
6. To enter in the Society’s shows.
7. To use or hire for a small charge the societies equipment at Pippenhall allotments at the users own risk as advised on the EAHGS website.
The allotment shop at Pippenhall will be open again every Sunday morning from June 28th. Please see the home page for further details.
Please could all tenants make sure the gate is always shut fully after entering or exiting the site and not to let anyone on site who does not have a key for the gate. There have been a number of instances of theft and sheds being broken into in recent weeks and we would ask tenants to report any suspicious activity to both the police and Greenwich council parks and open spaces department.
One of our members has experimented with growing potatoes in bags over the last two years. Read about his experience and advice to other container growers here
One of the tenants at Pippenhall has recently started a Pippenhall allotment blog. Have a look for yourself and register if you would like to contribute to this community. Click here to visit the blog
We regret that the strimmer is no longer available for hire.
Eltham and Avery Hill Gardens Society
London SE9 2PE
(please do not use this address for correspondence)